12.13.2010

Rx: Take twice a day for 10 days

Life here has been a little bit filled with germs. Especially those in the bacteria family. This month started off with Sariah getting strep throat. No big deal, stay home from school, stay in pj's, watch movies all day. Piece of cake. On Friday we were getting close to finishing up the 10 days worth of antibiotic when I walked into the kitchen and found the bottle on the floor...empty. You might have guessed it was Ada. So I make the obligatory call to poison control. They tell me to go to the ER. But of course, I am babysitting. So as I am contacting my friends to come get their children, the kind people at poison control call back and say never mind. That's OK. I have better things to do with the $50 co-pay. (It is after all Christmas time.) Keep an eye on her, give her lots of fluid, prepare for some loose stools, and pray she's not allergic to amoxicillin like her mama is. Things turn out great. But then I have to call back to the doctor to get another prescription so Sariah can finish her last few days. On Saturday morning, I realize that I too have strep throat. So I go the the urgent care where for only $20 they confirm my suspicions. Unfortunately I had plans that day to go Christmas shopping in Salt Lake because that's pretty much the only time we can do it. It's either do or die. Well, I did, and died. Ouch I hurt. The sacrifices, we mothers make for our children.
I stayed home from church on Sunday. It was great. Don't get me wrong, I love church, but I was home by myself for almost four hours. I slept, wrapped some presents, sat around. And the whole time it was silent! Sometimes it's worth it to get sick. Plus, Mr. Wonderful took the kids to church, fixed dinner and let me take another four hour nap. Thanks Honey!
But it doesn't end there. Recently Caleb has been having some problems with his boy parts. So I had an appointment to take him to the doctor today. Since we were there and he has not been acting himself I asked for a strep test. What do you know? It was positive. The crazy thing, I would have never taken him in if he didn't have an appointment for something else already. There was no fever, no sore throat. He just wasn't acting like himself. But since it was in the family I thought I would check. Good thing I did.
The kind doctor also wrote a prescription for Ada, who also hasn't been acting herself. I really thought the mega-dose she drank on Friday would have helped. I guess the medical professionals know what they are talking about when they say you need ten days worth.
Now there are currently four of us on antibiotics. I wouldn't think that a family that had to call poison control a few days ago would be given more, let alone four times more.
Thank goodness for modern medicine.

3 comments:

Cami said...

You know, I had always intended to send Caleb a package of those little things you stick into electrical plug outlets and some super glue! I just never got around to it....reading all this stuff makes me laugh, and remember, and laugh some more. You're awesome Bugs, I hope you all get better soon. You do realize, don't you, that it will be Seth's turn this weekend and then YOU will have to spend four hours with the kids at church, two hours making dinner, and four more hours keeping them quiet so HE can rest, right? Just sayin'...... :-)

Linnea said...

Not fun. I hope you guys get better soon--I think it will all work out perfectly because everyone will be healthy for Christmas--hopefully :)

Happy Herrons said...

Hey we are down to only 2.5 bottles of pink goo in our fridge!

Paris: Day One

We left town after Seth got home from work. We were expecting the drive to take about 9 hours, knowing that we have six kids and we would ...