As many of you know Caleb has had some speech problems. While he has made considerable progress in the last few months there are some lingering issues. He has a difficult time with consonant blends, especially at the beginning of words. He will oft times leave them off completely or will substitute a different, easier, sound. For example the word grass has a difficult consonant blend at the beginning that Caleb deems unnecessary to learn. He drops it completely and t comes out, well you should be able to figure it out.
This has made communication with him fairly comical lately. Glass is pronounced the same as grass. And for some reason when you add bowl to the end it comes out sounding like 'hole'. So the other day when Seth was unloading the dishwasher (yeah, ladies he does that) Caleb asked where the glass bowls went. Seth was a little taken aback.
"The what?!?" 'Well, I'm not sure where they go but there seem to be a number that ended up where I work,' was what Seth was thinking. He was unable to talk because he was stifling a laugh. (Caleb is a little sensitive and can become quite embarrassed at times. Seth was being sensitive to Caleb's needs.) "What do where go?" He made him say it again.
"The glass bowls Papa, where do they go?" Again, more laughing.
My communication has been a different topic, that of light switches. Here instead of dropping the difficult blend he substitutes a 'b' for the 'sw'. Caleb noticed the light switch.
"Look at the light switch, Mama."
"I'm sorry, look at what?"
"The light switch."
I too was stifling a laugh.
"Hey Caleb, why don't you go tell Papa to look at the light switch." (he he)
Since then Caleb has noticed a variety of switches situated throughout our home.
"Look Mama, there is a switch on the mixer, and on the hair dryer. That's just a little switch though. There are big switches and little switches. There are lots of switches."
"Yes, Caleb, thank you for pointing out all the switches in the house."
The word bridge is also pronounced like switch. So when Seth and I were flipping through the channels the other day and came across the movie "The Bridges of Madison County" we thought if Caleb were saying the title it might be a little more accurate.
Kids are so funny.
And swearing makes everything funnier.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Paris: Day One
We left town after Seth got home from work. We were expecting the drive to take about 9 hours, knowing that we have six kids and we would ...
-
Will you please leave a comment so I can link back to your blog and make it look like I have some friends again?
-
Yesterday Sariah turned 8. Holy cow! I can't believe I have an 8 year old. We had a fun day. She went to school, then Activity Days. Aft...
-
I have been going to therapy for a little while. Usually in the afternoons a couple times a month. My sessions last anywhere between twenty ...
6 comments:
Our oldest daughter had hearing issues when she was little and couldn't hear some of the sounds and therefore didn't say them either. My favorite was fish (pronounced like Caleb's switch), and corn pronounced like Porn. It was funny until she said in the middle of Sacrament meeting that she wanted some porn. I about died, everyone around me however thought it was hilarious.
That is hilarious!
I think you should try and record it:) Then he will actually believe you when you tell him the story one day;) Too Funny!
Great post. So so funny!
I have to say thanks for the chuckle! And...
poor Caleb--speech issues are so frustrating for little people!
It's so great to hear him talk on and on like little boys do - regardless of how he pronounces words. That was a long time coming! Go Caleb!
Post a Comment