I live in Germany. I know, that's pretty cool.
But can I complain for a minute?
***Before I start, let me just say, life here is good and I really am enjoying this awesome experience. I have learned so much, unfortunately speaking German is not one of those things.
I miss English. There are plenty of people here that do speak English, for which I am extremely grateful. But little things like reading labels. I was trying to buy some shampoo for my curly hair for a week or so, every time I walked down the shampoo isle I realized I still hadn't looked up the phrase for curly hair. So finally I looked it up and then couldn't find a single bottle with those words. I also bought some gel. I missed that it was for men so my hair has been smelling pretty manly. It's pretty nauseating with the amount I use on my long hair. I do appreciate marketing tactics that use pictures and fonts that are clearly for the target audience. I never realized how much you can tell about a product by its packaging.
I miss the Utah Indoor Clean Air Act. I don't think smoking inside is legal here, but RIGHT outside the door is. It's only now I realize how spoiled I have been.
I miss sour cream. I miss fruit snacks and graham crackers. (Thanks to my mom who shipped me some.) I miss American size bulk packaging. Gallons of milk and blocks of cheddar cheese. Big refrigerators and my kitchen in which to put all those giant packages.
I miss fountain drinks from the gas station and free refills at restaurants. Diet Pepsi that tastes like real Diet Pepsi. Ice cubes.
I miss wide streets and parking stalls. I miss turning right on a red light. And my automatic
transmission. Street signs I can read. I miss the convenience of stores open 24 hours. And drive-thrus! The bank doesn't have a drive through. UGH! (The McDonald's does, it's called McDrive.)
But the chocolate makes up for it all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Paris: Day One
We left town after Seth got home from work. We were expecting the drive to take about 9 hours, knowing that we have six kids and we would ...
-
Will you please leave a comment so I can link back to your blog and make it look like I have some friends again?
-
Yesterday Sariah turned 8. Holy cow! I can't believe I have an 8 year old. We had a fun day. She went to school, then Activity Days. Aft...
-
I have been going to therapy for a little while. Usually in the afternoons a couple times a month. My sessions last anywhere between twenty ...
4 comments:
This is awesome, let it out friend! But I will agree chocolate makes up for so much...even cruddy American chocolate. Just think in four months you'll miss the chocolate!
Poor sweetie - I am glad you have chocolate to see you through those man-smelling hair days!
If you need some help in getting products for curly hair, so let me know. I've got a lot of it, so I might have some experience ;)
Try to find some for "lockiges Haar" or "krauses Haar".
They do have sour cream! It is called sauer sahne. It isn't actually the same, but close. Good luck! If you have any questions, send me an email. I remember going through this a few years ago :)
Post a Comment