12.15.2009

Backfire

Do your great ideas ever turn out the way you think they should? Mine don't. This is a chronic problem. It should have a title like backfireitis.
Today I wanted to help teach my children the importance of GIVING at Christmas and not GETTING. So I sat them down and explained that we were going to draw names and GIVE a gift to that sibling. Since they aren't really interested in giving of their time and talents I gave them each a five dollar bill and set them loose at Wal*Mart.
Now I will admit that I made a huge mistake, I took all the kids at the same time. I was hoping they could all employ the talent of ignoring what is right in front of them (a talent I see every day when I ask them to tidy their rooms) and pretend that it's a surprise.
The first two went well. Arch chose a gift for Sariah, Sariah chose a gift for Caleb and when it was Caleb's turn Arch was way to involved in which isle we were NOT it. "I don't want anything from this isle, we should turn around and go back to the isle that Caleb's present came from."
I tried to distract Arch and let Caleb make a choice. Caleb decided on play dough. Really, I thought that was a great idea, Arch loves play dough, however, so does Caleb. As we were trying to keep it a surprise Caleb fell off the cart as he was reaching for a green tub of play dough. He already had two green tubs.
Arch turned around to behold the tragedy. Not that his little brother was crammed between the cart the floor and some Toy Story toys at a very awkward angle, but that Caleb had decided on play dough. Arch then uttered a phrase I heard a million times in the next twenty minutes, "I don't want play dough!"
I then attempted to talk to Arch about the difference between graciously receiving a gift and being a jerk. I guess that's beyond the comprehension of some five-year-olds.
As we walked to crowded isle of the only shopping joint in town amongst many familiar faces, finishing a little more shopping I had decided that I would make Arch own his words and was preparing for what would then follow.
I don't care how much time you spend, nothing would prepare you for this.
I gave the play dough to the checker and told her we no longer wanted it. It's amazing how fast a boy can change his mind. He then proceeded to carry on for at least thirty minutes. All I could do was smile. I knew this was going to happen. However, this tantrum was a dandy!
I recall hearing something like, "If you don't go back and get that play dough, I'm going to hit you." It was a special bonding moment, for me at least. Arch finally, after all these years, expressed what I have been feeling when he behaves this way. (For the record, neither he nor I hit each other.) We share the same feeling and emotions. I don't think he quite appreciated the bond quite like I did. As evidenced by the fact that he cried even louder when I chuckled after his threat.
This tantrum was also fueled by the fact that Seth is working the graveyard shift at work this week and was at home asleep. Since his schedule isn't tweaked like this often we haven't worked out a crisis plan. I was a little hesitant to take this kind of behavior home when my extremely tired husband was trying to sleep. It ended up me having to physically lift Arch into the van, buckle him up, just to have him undo it, engage the child safety lock on the door and drive slowly past the police station. Just kidding about the last part. I did consider it, but the police station is one block past the light I turn at to get home.

5 comments:

Stacee Maree said...

You should have started throwing a fit in the isle just to see what he would do.

Happy Herrons said...

UGH!! It was a GREAT plan with a GOOD motive. Sorry - we would have watched the little two for you! I moved your trash cans for you. I didn't think you would mind. You can come and hang out out here while Papa is sleeping - I TOTALLY understand.

lizwagz said...

wow, you mean every mom goes through this... I am so glad you shared this story! when E was about 4 he threw a fit in Wal**** and actually bit me! (on the butt!)

Bonnie said...

Oh wow... you are so brave and noble for trying to teach anything at Walmart! It's a madhouse this time of year!

Cami said...

Lol....I was trying to picture you man handling Arch while juggling Ada and Caleb. You DO realize you only have a few more years where you'll be able to do that, right? Those guys are getting HUGE! Lol! That was great! :) Thanks for sharing.

Paris: Day One

We left town after Seth got home from work. We were expecting the drive to take about 9 hours, knowing that we have six kids and we would ...