
My life is a little funny. As I was growing up my mom thought that Easter was way too sacred to celebrate in the Pagan tradition i.e. Easter Bunny, baskets, eggs, ham for dinner (after all Jesus was a Jew and ham isn't kosher.)
As can be expected, when I received a phone call from Seth's aunt that they were having a cousin's Easter egg hunt I was thrilled. And I was pretty sure Sariah and Arch would enjoy it as well. As Saturday rolled around, we got the kid's Easter baskets ready and headed south. As we pulled up to the house Sariah was already pointing to all the 'hidden' eggs. I had to shout 'Don't touch those!' as I'm trying to get my seat belt off and the keys out of the ignition. We waited around for the other cousins to show up. Since we live the farthest away, it makes perfect sense that we are the first ones there, at just 10 minutes late.
I'm not sure how egg hunts are generally administered since I had yet to attend one, but there were eggs in the back yard for the little (younger) kids and some in the front yard that were a little more hidden for the bigger (older) kids. (I use parenthesis because young and little don't mean the same thing when referring to my children.) We let the younger kids go first just to punish the older ones. It was the most difficult four minutes of Arch's life. And even then he caved in the face of temptation. As Caleb wandered around the wet grass he happily pointed to the eggs lying on the ground, but didn't understand they were supposed to be relocated to the basket in his hand. Arch was on top of things and was there at his side to help with the process. After the twentieth time of politely telling Arch he needed to let Caleb do it himself and that he would have a turn in a few minutes in the front yard I gave up. My egg hunting experience was already a little tarnished. This was WAY more trouble than it's worth I'm thinking. And I didn't even plan it.

Then the front yard experience. Sariah was out the front door before we could say go and she snatched up most of the eggs that were strategically placed for her cousin in a wheel chair (sorry Morgan!)

Luckily we believe in redistribution of wealth because after we were all done we came in the house and made sure we all had the same number of eggs and prizes. I'm not sure if everyone received one of these:

As I was observing the festivities I was feeling a little disobedient. It's not that my mother forbade me from participating in Easter activities or that she would even disapprove. It's just that it goes against everything that I was taught. I was enjoying the egg hunt, the sugar rush provided by chocolate and jelly beans and the company of family. However, it didn't remind me of Jesus. It reminded me of spring. And all of a sudden I realized what my very intelligent, spiritual mother was trying to teach me all those years. While the eggs and candy are fun, and let it be noted-will be included on our yearly celebration- they are not what Easter is about. It is about the most important figure in my life. My Savior! The gift of victory over death and the opportunity for Eternal Life.
Thanks Mom.
As an after note:
My mom is strange. While she doesn't celebrate Easter in the 'accepted' Christian way with eggs and bunnies she has come to celebrate a new tradition- Lent. You know, the Catholic tradition of fasting the 40 days before Easter, (from Ash Wednesday to Easter morning, minus Sundays, because they are a day of celebration and they don't fast on days of celebration.) She really enjoys the symbolism of Christ's 40 day fast, and the opportunity it gives her to remember the Savior. I have to admit, I think it's really neat. I tried to get Seth to participate. I asked him what he was giving up for lent.
'How about Catholic traditions.'
Anyway, the last few years we have been giving things up for lent. I always choose something easy like carbonation. My mom gave up desserts. Kudos! So as the celebration as the last day of lent I made my mom her most favorite dessert in the world. Coconut Cream Pie. (Way yummy. I just can't get it to set up.) She had a piece at my house and I sent her home with the rest. I'm not sure if it made its way to her house. I know if I had gone 40 days with out dessert I would eat the whole thing. Really, I do anyway.
8 comments:
LOL. Clever, your husband. "Catholic traditions..." that made me laugh. :)
this year we told Ethan and Archer that mom and dad were really the E.B. we felt the the whole gaint bunny thing is dumb.. so sorry if they share that little gem with any of the other kids..
Ha ha ha!! Nice, Seth. Way to sacrifice. And look at those cute kiddos hunting for eggs! So fun!! Question: If your mom was anti-pagan-Easter celebrations, did Santa skip your house as well?!
I wondered the same thing as McKenna? What about Santa? And did you know that the Christmas tree is pagan? and most of what we celebrate is all pagan? Christianity is mostly pagan, sorry we can't get away from it, it's fact.
She knows all that, Easter is just where she drew the line. My guess is that she just didn't want to do it one year and it was just so easy, why go back? Just a guess, I could be wrong.
I'm glad you had fun with your pagan ritual! Apparantly Austin (he's three) explained the coloring page they had for the kids in nursery to the whole class (the only error being that he called the tomb a "cave"). I guess that means we are doing pretty good at emphasizing the right things. We don't do Santa around here--just a very few gifts from Mom and Dad!! Savannah broke the news to many kindergarteners last year.
I love Easter! I love Egg Hunts! I love Christmas! I love Christmas trees! I love whatever else is Pagen I guess! :) Lol! I guess we're Christian Pagens! Good for you Bugs! I'm glad that you can integrate "the Bunny" thing in with the real Easter thing. In all seriousness, we try to celebrate what we affectionately call "Bunny Day" on Saturday at our house and reserve Easter Sunday for the more important celebration! I LOVE celebrating Christ's resurrection, am grateful for the Atonement and would not trade the relationship I have now with Him for ANYTHING!!! Love, love, love your blog! Thanks for sharing! I miss you guys......
I am glad you had the experience of the egg hunt. In our recent (13) egg hunts at our house I am yelling - Ashley here! And Ellie runs up, grabs the eggs, and sprints off again. I am sorry the pie didn't set up - but I am sure it TASTED good!
Post a Comment