4.29.2009

Claustrophobic teeth

If you were wondering about the quiz I put up a little while ago you can read this post. Although, it's not very interesting. If you weren't wondering, you'll have to wait for my next post. And who knows how long that will be.

About a year ago I went to the orthodontist because I had a tooth that was a little twisted and I wanted to see if I could get it taken care of. I had braces when I was younger (thanks Mom) and I didn't want all that work undone. Luckily I have great insurance and they covered the cost of retainers that would help move my tooth and also keep it in place. IF I wear them. The problem is: you guessed it-- claustrophobic teeth. If you have claustrophobic teeth, like me, then pictured below you will see the worst torture device ever devised.


At first I was really excited because I wouldn't have to wear the kind of retainer with the metal rail across the front that makes it feel like you should have acne and be walking down the halls of a middle school. And at first, I admit, it was a little fun. But the cycle of pain to the fuzziness of pain killers back to pain clouded my reality. When at last the tooth was in place and I was wearing my retainers without the aid of over-the-counter medicine I discovered that I, in fact, have claustrophobic teeth. I would wake up each morning with my teeth in a cold sweat (literally). I couldn't get those things out of my mouth fast enough. Since then I have been less than diligent at wearing my fancy little torture devices. After all, I'm no masochist. But every now and then my guilt overwhelms me and I feel I should give them another chance. Only to be let down, yet again.


Seth keep telling me how weird I am (which is true.) I was just wondering if anybody else will admit they have the same or a similar problem?

4 comments:

mckenna said...

I really, really don't. Sorry. Guess you're just crazy. ;)

Erin said...

i really really do!!! i know exactly what you're talking about! i would actually take them out of my mouth when i was sleeping sometimes becuase my teeth hurt so bad! i also got retainers back in december but couldn't handle the hurt along with the increased nausea of pain:). i'm with you. i don't want all the work undone...but i'm no masochist either!

Shelly said...

I have never had any problems with my teeth other than a few cavities and getting the vast majority of them pulled (most at the same time). I am impressed that your...what do you call them anyway...appear very clean!!

Happy Herrons said...

AH! What if MY teeth are claustrophobic also!??! This is a whole new concern! I am sorry about your teeth being smooched. Maybe hypnosis?

Paris: Day One

We left town after Seth got home from work. We were expecting the drive to take about 9 hours, knowing that we have six kids and we would ...