
(to Cami, I hope you don't miss me after this. I'll do better, if I can)
As a mother I am beginning to perfect the art of lecturing my children. I know it's only been a few years (6 years next month to be exact) but I am a fast learner, and I had a mother who was exceptionally gifted (thanx mom!) so I think I am way ahead of the learning curve on this particular talent.
I, however, had an eye-opening moment today.
We came home from the grocery store today (huge shopping trip with all four offspring) it went surprisingly well. As we were pulling into the driveway I start prepping the kids as to what I expect from them when we get out of the car.
1 Get out of the car
2 Go into the house
3 Take off your coats
4 Hang them on the hooks
5 Take off your shoes
6 Put them into your closets and
7 Finish putting the toys in your bedroom away.
A list I find doable. To my children not so much. They accomplished 1-6 in an acceptable amount of time. About 45 minutes later they had still yet to begin task 7. As a result I have a fun new set of Tinker Toys. Anyone want to play?
Here is where the lecture takes place.
Why is is so hard for you to clean up your toys? I don't think that is a hard thing for you to do. Do you think it is a hard thing? Do I ask you to do hard things? No! (I answer my own question, in a very loving voice.)
Arch looked at me and said, "Making a skunk not stink anymore is a hard thing to do!"
Now we know.
At that moment I had to turn around and get something, quick anything that is in the opposite direction. Oh look, the microwave, let's see what's in there.
I really wanted to stay mad, but after a line like that it's impossible!
Thanks Arch for making me laugh.
11 comments:
I think I just peed a little bit. Ha ha ha ha ha!! Good one, Arch!
That is hilarious. Skunks are stinky! Having kids remember a list that includes more items than their age is just not possible, so six items from Arch is amazing!! Of course I cheat on this "rule" and my list would have been "in the house," "coats on hooks," "shoes away," "clean up." That way they only have to remember four things, but the list of seven is still accomplished!!
Oh my word how incredibly astute of him! (that line of lecturing sounds familiar, I think someone I know had the same mother growing up as you . . .)
wow, how profound...i will have to use that one
Ha! I am glad you got stocked up on groceries AND humor!
Thanks for a good laugh!
Oh how I love that little Arch! And I will love you forever too Bugs! I think you're great. That made me laugh really hard, which will keep my heart in a great mood for at least two more days! THANKS for sharing!
That made me laugh! I needed it, too. I need to have that lecture with my children...maybe they will pick up their toys. Or a make a skunk comment.
I love the way you write what the kids say and make it as funny in the reading as in the actual event. I think I do resent the comment about your mother. I could give you lecture 512 again about respecting your mother.
Mom
I love his logic! If only we could all be so deep and philosophical!
I'm pretty sure comdey central has an opening for a near 5 year old. THat boy is one funny monkey. Get him a contract now.
Post a Comment