
This is my sister. She's great. She and I are nothing alike. I am taller with blue eyes and glow-in-the-dark skin. She's a little shorter (but still kinda tall for a girl) with dark hair, green eyes and a beautiful complexion. I am a jock and she is an artist. She works at a catering company and enjoys the artistic side of preparing and serving beautiful food to beautiful people. I, on the other hand, feel at times like I work in a mess hall. "Here's your slop!"
My sister was home for Christmas (from Portland) and she was telling me a story. She was working an event the other day. She never really pays attention to the kind of event, she's there to work. She stays behind the scenes and makes sure everything is prefect. But at this particular event they were having sushi and she makes the best sushi so she was chosen to work the sushi table. As she's working she noticed that there seemed to be quite a few rather tall, handsome African-American men. In her artistic little mind this didn't send up a red flag. She went on working. Then she did notice that there was one tall black guy that kept coming back for more sushi. He was a little chatty, which she found a little annoying because she was working and she was feeling a little under the weather at the time. She didn't want to flirt with a guy under those circumstances. (I can understand that.)

After she rid herself of the nuisance, her boss came over and asked if she knew who was flirting with her. She said no. He told her it was LaMarcus Aldridge. 'Who is he?' she wondered. Her boss said it like she was supposed to know him from somewhere. Her boss takes her into the back room where all the other food lovers are working and asks them what event is tonight. In unison they reply 'The Portland TrailBlazer Christmas party!' (that's a professional basketball team for those of you like my sister.) Her boss then tells everyone that LaMarcus Aldridge was flirting with the sushi girl and she didn't even know who he was. Of course they are all flipping out because they want to be out in the party because they have at least heard of these athletes.
I could feel their pain. As she was telling me this story I was trying to change my newborn baby. I pulled out a size 5 diaper that is as big as the baby, before you unfold it, and almost put it on her. (I might have if it weren't for my mom screaming at me.)
You see this isn't the first time that my sister has had a run-in with greatness (pardon me if I use that term loosely) and hasn't even known it. She also met Wayne Gretzky (the most famous professional hockey player ever) and she said, "What's your name again?" He just skated off.
UGH!!! Why can't these moments be experienced by someone who cares?
Like me!
4 comments:
I really thought you should have embelished the story. You could have made it a fabulous story that would go into the annals as legend. You did a great job of telling the story as it was told to you and the whole diaper thing still makes me laugh.
Holy Moly! I think that's the same sister I met once and wondered if she was adopted! She MUST be adopted! How could she grow up with YOU and not know all of these people? That makes me laugh. As for poor little Ada....don't rush the girl, she won't be little for too much longer! Gotta catch up with all those other Herring kids! Love ya'll. Cami
you know, if it had been me working the sushi table, I wouldn't have known What-his-name from Wayne Gretzky either, except that there seems to be a lack of black guys named Wayne.
I wouldn't have known who he was either...if I have any opportunities to meet famous sports people I will give you a call (don't wait by the phone...unless Hootz the owl counts.)
Post a Comment