On Wendesday night I had the opportunity to go to the opera with my mom and my grandma. My sister, D'nita, (when she still lived in Utah) bought season tickets and then moved. So I took them for her as a favor not really expecting to enjoy it. I thought it would be fun to have a girls night out with Mom and Gran, but that's all I was expecting. There is a part in the movie Pretty Woman where Richard Gere explains to Julia Roberts the you either love the opera or you can learn to appreciate it and you know that the first time you ever go. (Or something like that. I've never really seen that movie.) So the point is that I went to the opera when I was in high school for my humanities class and I didn't even really appreciate it. I didn't think there would be a chance that it would be interesting. Well, I was wrong. The first opera I went to was Puccini's Tosca. It was great! Then on Wednesday we saw Rossini's comic opera Cinderella. They were so different, but I enjoyed each for what it was. Cinderella was done in a more modern tone it was set in the 20's and the step-sisters were dressed like flappers. But the highlight of the evening was the last scene in the first act. They were at the palace and Cinderella showed up and the sisters were mad and so was the step-father. Well they started after Cinderella and they did it all in slow motion. There were people fighting, running, being bashed with baguettes, and falling off the banquet table in slow motion. It was hilarious. It's been along time since I've seen something so funny.
I'm glad that I had the opportunity to go and have a great time doing something that I wouldn't usually do. (I would rather have had some tickets to the Jazz fall into my lap.) It was great and I encourage you all to try something new, even if you don't think it would be fun. It's like what we all learned at the stake women's conference, start taking chances.
3 comments:
I am so jealous of you. I used to get to go all the time. I miss is so much!!!! Now I just get to listen to CD's which is just not the same. I am glad you had fun.
That is AWESOME you got to go to the opera - what fun! If you ever don't need your tickets....
I'm so glad you had fun! It's always interesting to try something new and then find out that you like it. Now if you could convince Seth to go . . .
Post a Comment